Sleep Hygiene Tips
Did you know that sleep disorders are one of the most common health problems in modern society?
Scientific interest in the role of sleep health in the development and management of chronic diseases has grown rapidly within the last decade. Notably, insufficient sleep has been linked to a number of chronic diseases, including diabetes, cardiovascular disease, obesity and depression.
Sleep Hygiene Tips:
The promotion of regular sleep is known as sleep hygiene. The following is a list of advices which can be used to improve sleep duration and quality:
- Go to bed at the same time each night and get up at the same time each morning
- Avoid sleeping during the day
- Avoid drinking coffee, tea or coca cola in the evening. Larger amounts of alcohol can also disturb your sleep
- Fysical activity can improve your sleep, but avoid strenuous exercise before bedtime
- Do not go to bed hungry, but do not consume a heavy meal right before bedtime
- Use the last hour before bedtime to calm down and avoid mental and emotional stress
- Avoid using your computer, ipad or mobile in bed
- As much as possible, make sure your bedroom is a quiet, dark, and relaxing environment, which is neither too hot nor too cold.
- If you cannot sleep, get up and do something else. Go back to bed when you are sleepy again
- Learn a relaxation technique, use it if you wake up during the night